Starting Point

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 38-41 I Survived the Weekend

Finally a blog post where I can say I had a decent weekend! No drinks (diet coke and club soda when I did go out with my friends) and no major junk food issues either. And more good news...this week I finally "went to the gym" 5 times, which was something I have been trying to do since January. I went to 5 Zumba classes, so lots of Cardio! I'm going to try to throw in some strength training this upcoming week.


This week my diet has been iffy. I haven't been feeling great (little sore throat nbd) so on Wednesday I ate comfort carbs (toast, whole wheat pasta) and since then I have had no appetite. I haven't been eating 3 full meals a day, and I know that isn't good. For those who don't know, skipping meals triggers your brain that you are starving, so when you do eat, your body holds on to all that food because it doesn't know when the next one is coming.


This is what happens to me if I am busy especially when I was in school, I tend to skip meals, and then I would eat one unhealthy meal (like pizza). This time, at least I am eating healthy stuff for that one meal/snacks but it still isn't ideal. I am going to try to get back on track tomorrow, get on a schedule and actually plan my meals. I went to the Market yesterday, so now I have a fridge full of delicious food just waiting to be cooked!


This weekend I made brownies (yah I know that isn't really "low sugar", but everyone needs some chocolate), and keeping with the "healthy" tradition, I made the brownies with beets! (Old school red velvet cake used beets too!)


I got my recipe from BBC Good Food, so all the measurements were in grams, but here is my version all converted for ya!


Ingredients:
4 Medium beets
1/2 Cup of Butter
200g Bar of 70% Dark Chocolate (you must use dark chocolate, or else the brownies will be too sweet)
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/4 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of Plain Flour
1/4 Cup of Cocoa Powder


1. Peel and cut the beets into chucks-your hands will turn red, but it washes off. Put in a microwavable bowl with a splash of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 12+ minutes. (It took mine 17 min to get tender).


2. Heat the oven to 350, and grease a glass baking pan (20 x 30 cm).  Put eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat together using a hand mixer. Should be "pale and foamy." Or whisk briskly for 5 minutes if no hand mixer is available.


3. Carefully remove beets (they are hot), drain off water, and put in a blender. Add chunks of chocolate, and squares of butter, and vanilla. Blend until smooth. The chocolate and butter melt from the hot beets. (Food processor would work better).


4.Fold beet mixture into egg mixture. Sift in flour and cocoa powder into bowl. Pour into pan.


5. Bake for 25 minutes or until "just the merest quiver under the centre of the crust when you shake the pan." Cool completely in pan. Note: they are so moist that they don't look like they are cooked when they are done. Actually do the shaky pan thing to see if they are ready!


They are delicious! Fun game: don't tell your friends there are beets in them, they will never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment