Starting Point

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 78- Goals..smhmoals

Wow day 78 already. I have had an interesting little bit the past couple of days with the TTWLC.
It seems that when I write a "preachy" blog post about being all healthy...a week like this happens.

Day 67-I went out to dinner (Indian food) with a friend from Halifax/Toronto who is MOVING TO AFRICA!! This was way more important than going to body pump.
Day 66-73 I went on vacation back to Halifax/Bathurst to move out of my Halifax apartment I had been subletting for the summer, and to visit the beach. I indulged slightly with the food, and didn't exercise enough, booo. But I did go for a really nice walk on Saturday with my family on the beach (5km in 1hr). I know I have mentioned that family is pretty healthy..but to be more specific, my Mom has gone for a walk and or cross country ski (pretty much) every day since December 26th, 2000 rain, shine, or blizzard. That is commitment.

When I came back on Tuesday (74) I went to Body Pump and it was good, not awesome, but good. No food cheats! Someone commented on my healthy lunch (carrot sticks, tuna, lettuce..it was super not thrilling) and I briefly explained that I try to eat really really healthy during the week so I can splurge a little on the weekend.

Wednesday(75) I went for a run/walk which I will discuss later (no food cheats). Thursday (76) I went to Body Flow, and yoga was awesome to get out some stress from a super busy day at work!  Friday I didn't do anything, and today I went for a stroll around town, made an amazing supper featuring a blueberry salsa from Whit's Amuse Bouche. Yes I said blueberry salsa, and yes it was delicious.

So back to my attempt at a run on Wednesday. It was a cool cloudy September that reminded me of playing soccer back in HS. Perfect for a run. Also I am trying to run a 5k in 30 minutes on October 2nd for the Run for the Cure, so I really needed to get training (like 3 months ago). So off I went, feeling good for about 1 km, before my calves started killing me, so I walked/ran for the next little bit. In total I ran 2 km and walked the rest. All in 45 minutes, so that wasn't too bad.

But here is the thing. I hated every minute of it. I love my zumba/body pump/body flow classes, but running for 45 minutes was painful and annoying. I think I am just not a jogger. I think sprinting is fun, but jogging just isn't for me. And the great thing that I have learned, is that it is completely ok. I don't need to be a jogger to be healthy. I don't need to run marathons to live a healthy life. Maybe one day I will actually be able to run a 5 k or more, but for now I am happy with my walk/run 5k.

I am still going to run the 5k on October 2nd, and I am probably not  going to meet my goal, but that is ok! I guess it is mostly about the attempt, not so much about the end result, which is kind of a good thing, because if I could immediatly run a 5k, or completed the TTWLC the first time around, I wouldn't be having all this fun :).

No comments:

Post a Comment