Starting Point

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 9-Zumba time!

I got to do my favorite exercise today, Zumba at the Dalplex (Dalhousie Gym) with Richard Gormley. For those who have never done Zumba, it is a cardio exercise class disguised as a dance party, with latin and hiphop flare. It was created by a Colombian fitness instructor and dancer, Beto Perez, who started throwing Latin dance moves into his routines, and volia Zumba was born. (Side note, according to Wikipedia Beto choreographed routines for Shakira...fun fact).


Richard is the Dalplex instructor and he is AMAZING! I know Richard from home, and he started teaching Zumba to about 6 people in a small studio the summer of 2009. The six people have transformed into hundreds, and the floor literally shakes when the class is going on at the Dalplex. Zumba is a great program, but Richard makes it so much more fun with his energy and enthusiasm!! Check out this Video for an (stylized) idea of what Zumba is! (1. I don't know what they are saying either, and 2. No you don't necessarily get a car like the singer when you do Zumba..sorry.)


Normally I would also go to Aqua Zumba (Zumba in the water) right before normal Zumba to get two workouts in one, but today I missed Aqua Zumba. So I am up to 3 workouts this week, and plan on going for a run tomorrow (and redoing my fitness test). I am excited that this week is going well for exercise!


It is also going well for diet. I can tell I am eating healthier with the diet solution, but I definitely don't feel starved, and I am not missing anything. Breakfasts are the biggest change, because before I would always have toast and peanut butter and orange juice. Now I have an egg/meat and veggies, and water or herbal tea with Stevia (an all natural sweetner).  The point is to eliminate sugar, so all drinks except water and herbal tea are out.  The creator of this program emphasizes that breakfast foods can be leftovers from the night before, and don't have to be traditional breakfast food which is different. This morning for example was a low fat sausage with stir fried peppers and onions, and it was delicious!


And mixed in with all the healthiness is one cheat day a week, so tomorrow when I go out for sushi for my friend's birthday tomorrow, I won't feel super guilty!  Mmmm sushi. White rice carby sushi. I can't wait : D!

No comments:

Post a Comment